From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CircularRedirectException: Circular redirect to
Date Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:49:41 GMT
On Tue, 2009-01-13 at 00:24 +1100, Jason Polites wrote:
> Hi Shyam,
> Apologies for the random "chime-in", but I just happened to be reading your
> post.
>
> Two things I see:
>
> 1. There's some weirdness in the cookies.  Namely:
>
> "Cookie: null;
> IIIV3942733078="#BEGMD5#6c627724ce8abab6110397daf85343ca#ENDMD5#121-hoov|1775525|112|45|75|0";
> 16024108083778=16024108083778[\r][\n]"
>
> Which is almost the same as:
>
> "Cookie: IIIV3942733078=#BEGMD5#6c627724ce8abab6110397daf85343ca#ENDMD5#121-hoov|1775525|112|45|75|0[\r][\n]"
>
> At least the key value of the cookie is the same, and the former
> doesn't appear to have been sent in a Set-Cookie header by the server.
>  Perhaps the server is grabbing the wrong cookie?
>
> 2. My reading of the log appears to suggest that everything IS
> actually working.  The final GET request for
> /index2.asp?si=31424108094774 appears to return successfully?
>
> I've done some significant work with HttpClient connecting to MS
> systems (namely Exchange via WebDAV) and have had to go through all
> sorts of hoops to get it to work.  One tool I found invaluable is the
> TamperData plugin for Firefox.  If you are able to access this site
> successfully from Firefox (assuming MS doesn't bump you out due to
> browser restriction), TamperData will allow you to see the content of
> the HTTP headers sent to and fro.  I have found this very useful to
> compare what Firefox is giving/receiving with that of HttpClient.
>
> Another "tip" was that I ended up disabling all auto-cookie creation
> in HttpClient and manually inserted the cookies just as I received
> them from the server.  I found that (in 3.x HttpClient anyway) it was
> screwing up my cookies and sending back different data to the data it
> received in the Set-Cookie from the server.  In my case it was a
> parsing but in HttpClient.  Not sure if the version you are using has
> any of these issues.

HttpClient 3.x per default attempts to maintain at least some degree of
standard compliance with regards to cookie handling instead of 'garbage
in - garbage out' policy used by so called common browsers. This policy
was relaxed somewhat in HttpClient 4.0. HttpClient 4.0 will try to
auto-detect the level of standard compliance based on the format of
incoming Set-Cookie headers and use the same cookie policy when sending
cookies back to the origin server.

Oleg