From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Connection metrics with Http Client/Core
Date Sun, 23 Nov 2008 17:23:11 GMT
Chris Lowe wrote:
> Thanks Oleg. I presume you meant something like this for getting at the
> connection metrics?
>
> new HttpResponseInterceptor() {
>
>     public void process(final HttpResponse response,
>                             final HttpContext context) throws HttpException,
> IOException {
>
>                 final AbstractClientConnAdapter connAdaptor =
> (AbstractClientConnAdapter)
>                     context.getAttribute(ExecutionContext.HTTP_CONNECTION);
>
>                 HttpConnectionMetrics metrics = connAdaptor.getMetrics();
>
>         // ...
>     }
> }

Yes, that is exactly what I meant.

> Looking at the GZip example, for other stats like TTFB etc I could place an
> InputStream wrapper around the following line:
>
> InputStream wrappedin = wrappedEntity.getContent();

The best way to go about is to create a custom connection (class
possibly by extending DefaultClientConnection [1]) and collecting
additional metrics by overriding and decorating methods of the
AbstractHttpClientConnection class [2].

You will also have to create a custom connection manager in order to
provide a custom version of the ClientConnectionOperator interface to be
used for creating client connections.

> But wouldn't potentially skew my results since presumably the InputStream
> reference that I get is already wrapped a few times and is buffered?
>
> Is there a way to get the genuine time to first byte from the underlying
> socket?

If you really need to control I/O on the socket level, you should
decorate SessionInputBuffer and SessionOutputBuffer instances used by
the client connection class. See how DefaultClientConnection adds socket
level logging by decorating instances of those interfaces [3]

> BTW when I was looking at the GZip example, I added the code to my
> multithreaded implementation. It worked well.  However, I tried running the
> example with Charles HTTP proxy running so I could see the new headers
> coming through.  Normally adding "-Djava.net.useSystemProxies=true" to the
> JVM arguments routes all traffic through Charles but with HttpClient it did
> not. Is there anything else that I need to do in order to use the system
> proxy settings with HttpClient?

Use ProxySelectorRoutePlanner instead of the default one. By the way, a
simpler way to see what packets get sent across the wire is by
activating the wire log. Just configure whatever logging framework you
are using beneath Commons Logging to set 'org.apache.http' category to
DEBUG priority.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Oleg