From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NhttpClient and proxy
Date Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:53:52 GMT
On Mon, 2008-11-24 at 12:05 +0100, Pieter Coucke wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use a proxy (Squid) with the example code from
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpcore/trunk/module-nio/src/examples/org/apache/http/examples/nio/NHttpClient.java.
>
> I tried to set the params with
> params.setParameter(ConnRoutePNames.DEFAULT_PROXY, proxy);
>
> and also in the HttpRequestExecutionHandler#initializeContext() I tried it with
> context.setAttribute(ExecutionContext.HTTP_PROXY_HOST, proxy);
>
> However, both without success.  Can someone maybe point me to what I'm
> missing here?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Pieter

Pieter,

HttpCore provides components for the basic HTTP transport functionality,
both server and client side. It is intended to transmit HTTP messages
from one endpoint to another, and that is it. HTTP state management,
authentication, connection management and support for request proxying
is out of scope for HttpCore. Those aspects are meant to be implemented
on top of HttpCore by specialized modules such as HttpClient. Currently
we have a version of HttpClient based on classic (blocking) I/O model, a
successor to Commons HttpClient 3.1. There are also plans to develop an
asynchronous version of HttpClient based on HttpCore NIO but no work has
started yet. I am very reluctant to open a new major construction site
_unless_ there is at least a few people committed to contributing to
such an effort and maintaining the code mid / long term.

Oleg