From Mike Kyle <m_t_k_nos...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: UTF8 problem?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 11:50:16 GMT
Hanson,

Unfortunately it didn't make any difference.

Cheers, Mike

________________________________
From: Hanson Char <hanson.char@gmail.com>
To: HttpClient User Discussion <httpclient-users@hc.apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, 23 October, 2008 11:19:47
Subject: Re: UTF8 problem?

Have you tried changing the default JVM encoding via:

  -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8

to see if that works ?

Cheers,
Hanson

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 2:36 AM, Mike Kyle <m_t_k_nospam@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> I set an EntityEnclosingMethod request entity to be a ByteArrayRequestEntity. This entity
has the Java characters "\u4E2D\u6587" as the corresponding UTF8 bytes (UTF8 = 0xE4,0xB8,0xAD,0xE6,0x96,0x87).
This is confirmed by logging httpclient.wire.content. There I see the UTF8 values.

> However what appears to really get transmitted is the corresponding Java characters rather
than the UTF8 values! As this is supposedly a UTF8 encoded XML document the receiver is not
best pleased. This is confirmed by performing HTTP sniffing using org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon.My
suspicion is that somehow a character handler is intervening?

> Debugging HttpConnection implied that the output stream is a BufferedOutputStream wrapping
a java.net.SocketOutputStream. I had assumed that the socket streams would be byte oriented.
The content type is set to 'text/xml; chartset="utf-8"'.