From Mike Kyle <m_t_k_nos...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject UTF8 problem?
Date Thu, 23 Oct 2008 09:36:47 GMT
I set an EntityEnclosingMethod request entity to be a ByteArrayRequestEntity. This entity has
the Java characters "\u4E2D\u6587" as the corresponding UTF8 bytes (UTF8 = 0xE4,0xB8,0xAD,0xE6,0x96,0x87).
This is confirmed by logging httpclient.wire.content. There I see the UTF8 values.

However what appears to really get transmitted is the corresponding Java characters rather
than the UTF8 values! As this is supposedly a UTF8 encoded XML document the receiver is not
best pleased. This is confirmed by performing HTTP sniffing using org.apache.axis.utils.tcpmon.My
suspicion is that somehow a character handler is intervening?

Debugging HttpConnection implied that the output stream is a BufferedOutputStream wrapping
a java.net.SocketOutputStream. I had assumed that the socket streams would be byte oriented.
The content type is set to 'text/xml; chartset="utf-8"'.

I am normally using HttpClient 3.0 + but the latest 3.1 appeared to react exactly the same.