From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Use of connection managers max-per-host, max-total settings; persistent connections
Date Sun, 21 Sep 2008 14:36:42 GMT
On Thu, 2008-09-18 at 14:56 -0700, Tatu Saloranta wrote:
> I have tried to figure out exact relationship between settings that limit per-connection
manager number of connections: maximum connections to open/retain per-host, and max connections
overall.
> I read documentation on web site, apologies if I missed an obvious answer.

Hi Tatu

I am sorry it took me so long to get back to you.

> Specifically, I am trying to figure out whether there is any difference between using
persistent connections and not. Right now I assume there is no difference -- persistent connections
are just held onto in hopes they may be reused, but either way, these are hard limits for
all connections (per-host and total).

This limitation no longer applies to HttpClient 4.0, where only
persistent connections are kept in the pool. Closed connections are
discarded upon release.

> But what I really would be able to figure out is this: is there a way to limit number
of persistent (keep-alive) connections to lower value than hard-limit on number of connections
that can be opened?
> Basically so that limit to check against when opening a connection would be higher (say,
10), but limit to check when deciding whether client will keep the connection would be lower
(say, 2). This would allow for temporary opening of higher number of concurrent connections
during load spikes, without leaving higher number of open connections.

I do not see a problem with that, but you would have to subclass
ConnPoolByRoute and override #freeEntry method

> I guess alternative way would be to just use aggressive values for closing free open
connections.

I personally think this is a better solution. Just evict idle
connections more aggressively. That is it.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Oleg