From "Subhash Chandran" <sub...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DIGEST and BASIC authentication API
Date Sat, 02 Aug 2008 10:37:06 GMT
Thanks Oleg.

I have also installed the latest trunk version of http client in my
development system. Once 4.0-BETA is released, please release it in
the Maven repository also. I also believe this release will be
announced in this mailing list.

Subhash.

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:29 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski <olegk@apache.org> wrote:
> Subhash Chandran wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I recently moved RESTClient ( http://code.google.com/p/rest-client/ ) from
>> Commons HTTP to HTTP client.
>>
>> Previously I was using BASIC and DIGEST authentication using the Commons
>> API. Now the example provided:
>>

>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/module-client/src/examples/org/apache/http/examples/client/ClientAuthentication.java
>>
>> Does not speak on how to specify if it is DIGEST or BASIC authentication.
>>
>> Can anyone of you let me know the API for specifying this?
>>

> Subhash,
>
> The general approach has not changed. It is not entirely up to HttpClient to
> choose an authentication scheme as the origin server is meant to challenge
> the client first. Depending on what kind of authentication schemes are
> supported by the server the client is free to pick up the one it considers
> the most secure. One can override the way Httpclient selects an
> authentication scheme by setting 'http.auth.scheme-pref' parameter to a
> List<String> containing names of supported auth schemes in the order of
> preference.
>
> Alternatively one can provide a custom authentication in order to have a
> complete control over the authentication process:
>
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/module-client/src/main/java/org/apache/http/client/AuthenticationHandler.java
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/module-client/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/client/AbstractAuthenticationHandler.java
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/module-client/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/client/DefaultTargetAuthenticationHandler.java
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/module-client/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/client/DefaultProxyAuthenticationHandler.java
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Oleg
>
> PS: Please consider upgrading to the latest SVN snapshot. The code in SVN
> trunk is very likely to be released as 4.0-BETA1 pretty soon.

Regards,
Subhash Chandran S

http://rest-client.googlecode.com/