From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Move Cookie to HttpCore?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 12:16:04 GMT
On Tue, 2008-08-19 at 13:52 -0400, Bill Higgins wrote:
> I started using HttpCore 4 about two weeks ago and am very impressed.
> However, I found two things missing, APIs for manipulating URIs (will send
> separate note) and a domain model for Cookies. After looking around, I
> discovered that there is a nice domain model for Cookies, but it lives in
> the HttpClient module (org.apache.http.cookie).

Hi Bill,

Since the API of both HttpCore and HttpClient 4.0 are locked by now, we
cannot make API incompatible changes. This still does not rule out
packaging changes, though.

Dragging cookie components into HttpCore does not seem right to me. An
alternative would be to package cookie components as a separate artifact
(JAR) within HttpClient project with no dependency on the rest of
HttpClient code that could be used separately.

Another alternative could be developing a cookie domain model optimized
for the server side state management.

I suggest that we discuss various options on the dev list
(dev@hc.apache.org)

Cheers,

Oleg