From "Sam Berlin" <sber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: PUT & Expect:100-continu
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:02:24 GMT
The difference, Uday, is that HttpClient supports it internally.  You
don't have to do anything to make it work.  Just do a normal PUT
request with a body (and specify to use EXPECT_CONTINUE, as David
shows), and HttpClient will automagically make it work.  I think
you're trying to do it yourself, which is causing problems.  As Oleg
mentioned, httpclient performs the expect-continue internally, so a
1xx response should never be seen by the user in normal program flow.

Sam

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 12:00 AM, Uday Subbarayan
<uday.subbarayan@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>     I disagree with you. This 100 status from HTTP Servers are valid response, to indicate
to the client to continue sending the body.

> The HTTP 1.1 spec says,
>
> "This interim response is
>   used to inform the client that the initial part of the request has
>   been received and has not yet been rejected by the server. The client
>   SHOULD continue by sending the remainder of the request or, if the
>   request has already been completed, ignore this response. The server
>   MUST send a final response after the request has been completed."
>
> http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec10.html#sec10.1.1
>
> A good example is Amzon's S3:
> http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AmazonS3/2006-03-01/
>
> Here client will send the header first and S3 authenticates request based on header.
Then if auth succeeds it will respond with 100 to indicate to the client to continue with
the body OR 417 OT to send the body.