From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ignore response in POST Method
Date Wed, 16 Jul 2008 13:55:46 GMT
On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 11:09 +0200, Michael Mangeng wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> On the page:
> http://hc.apache.org/httpclient-3.x/methods/post.html
>
> ...you write under "Common Problems":
> "The most common problem when using the post method is not reading the
> entire response body and calling releaseConnection regardless of the
> response received from the server or whether or not the response body is
> useful to your application."
>
> What is _exactly_ the problem if i do this?
> (don't care about the response and call method.releaseConnection();
> right after client.executeMethod(m) returned?)
>
> I really don't care about the response data - i only need to do the request.

The problem is that lots of people out there do not correctly understand
the purpose of the HttpMethod#releaseConnection() method. This method
does not close the underlying connection if it can be re-used. The
upshot of it is that this method will attempt to read the entire
response body before returning the connection to the pool. This, of
course, has performance implications.

I admin the statement in the "Common Problems" section is indeed
somewhat misleading, though

Oleg