From "Quintin Beukes" <quin...@last.za.net>
Subject Re: isStale()
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 18:48:01 GMT
Correction, ArrayIndexOutOfBounds exception.

Eitherway,
That should work much better. That protects against to much
synchronization at the cost of possibly not distributing evenly, but
that risk is so small, and not a big deal.

At least you never goes out of index here.

On 6/23/08, Tatu Saloranta <cowtowncoder@yahoo.com> wrote:
> --- On Mon, 6/23/08, Quintin Beukes <quintin@last.za.net> wrote:

> > One can either modify the the method to either
>  > (1) Implement a priority queue, which will give a perfect
>  > distribution.
>  > (2) Modify the method to do this:
>  > int i;
>  > synchronized (this)
>  > {
>  >   int i = this.currentWorker++ % this.workerCount;
>  >   if (i == 0) this.currentWorker = 1;
>

> How about rather:
>
>  if (++currentWorker < 0) { // overflow
>   currentWorker = 0;
>  }
>  i = currentWorker % workerCount;
>
>  if goal is to protect against overflow (which I thought was the goal);
>  or. I don't think our code helps against overflow itself.
>  Or if one just wants to iterate over workers:
>
>  if (++currentWorker >= workerCount) {
>   currentWorker = 0;
>  }
>  i = currentWorker % workerCount;
>
>  I doubt any of these really would make that much difference (including the original
code), but if one wants to be pedantic... :-)

>  -+ Tatu +-

Quintin Beukes