From "Quintin Beukes" <quin...@last.za.net>
Subject Re: isStale()
Date Sun, 22 Jun 2008 21:04:45 GMT
Hey,

I was busy stepping the NIO code, and noticed the following:
this.dispatchers[this.currentWorker++ % this.workerCount].addChannel(entry);

Is this safe? Since currentWorker will eventually wrap around to a
negative number. It will take a while, a long long while, but I don't
notice any resets anywhere, so I assume after running for a few
months, or under extremely high volume it will eventually fail.

PS: Of all the open source projects' source code I've worked with,
HttpComponents have been the biggest pleasure of all. The code is
very... "intelligable". Sometimes code is over "complexified", or made
so abstract that one cannot see how things link up with each other, or
just badly written. Thanks for it all!

Busy downloading the latest beta, then going to bed.

Good night...

On 6/22/08, Quintin Beukes <quintin@last.za.net> wrote:
> >  (2) Be careful with blocking behaviors. If your code gets blocked while
>  >  executing on the I/O dispatch thread, this will effectively block _all_
>  >  connections. No I/O events could be dispatched anymore.
>

> I figured this, and made sure that the IO dispatch thread does nothing
>  more than set a variable and release a latch.
>

>  >
>  >  (3) HttpCore does not provide a sophisticated connection management
>  >  mechanism similar to that in the HttpClient package. This is something
>  >  that we still plan to build at some point. Currently one need to write a
>  >  lot of management code to control the behavior of the connecting I/O
>  >  reactor.
>

> This I also know, but with NIO, is there even a way to do connection management?
>
>  I figure I'd take your advice and get this thing running for
>  Wednesday. I don't know how HttpClient does this, but I figure I'd
>  just force make a new connection on the second try :/
>
>  But Wednesday is just 3 days away. Are there any examples that does
>  persistent NIO connections?

Quintin Beukes