From Brian Johnson <...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: webfolder and JFileChooser
Date Wed, 28 May 2008 15:27:22 GMT
Yannick,

I have not seen a direct response, so perhaps this partial response
will help.

I have had the same problem. I do not believe there is a pure-java
solution.
I ended up using a customized version of ClientHttpRequest by Vlad
Patryshev
for http transport, but I think you could do this with HTTPClient as
well...

In the folder on the (apache) web server from which I wish to open
files, I place
a small php script that returns a return-delimited list of file names
(it removes
its own name from this list). My applet does a GET on the URL of this
script,
parses the return string and uses it to make a JOptionPane popup list
of files.
With the file name I am able to use URL().openStream() to read the
input file.

The client class supports file uploads too. Coupled with another php
script on
the server, applets gain read & save functionality on the server.

 From the web server's point of view this is business as usual. The
folder could
easily be protected via a .htaccess file, and the applet could be
modified to
submit an id & pw if appropriate.

 From comments by others on this list I think this is a fairly common
strategy,
but there may be others...

   -b.johnson, dept of architecture, university of washington, seattle