From "Sam Berlin" <sber...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Defference between HttpCore and HttpClient
Date Wed, 21 May 2008 15:04:45 GMT
Hi jeffty,

HttpCore is like the nuts and bolts -- it's the individual pieces you
need to build something.  HttpClient is the additional stuff that
brings the nuts & bolts together into an easy-to-use http client.
That is, httpcore can do all the things that httpclient does -- but it
needs some explicit instructions telling it how to do those things.
(It is built like this so that the core pieces can be extended in
different ways... for example, httpcore can be used with a
non-blocking I/O implementation for high-performance servers or
clients.)

You very likely want to migrate to HttpClient 4.0 if you're looking to
switch to the 4.0 impl, and want to upgrade from 2.0.  We did the same
conversion a few months back.  (We actually went through two steps --
converted our home-built upload code to be built ontop of httpcore
4.0, and then later converted the remaining uses of httpclient 2.0 to
be using httpclient 4.0.)

(Bear in mind that right now 4.0 is in Alpha, so the API can change.
If 2.0 is working for you and there's no need to switch right now, I'd
recommend waiting until 4.0 is in beta, unless you're willing to redo
some things occasionally if the API changes.)

Sam