From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: help writing out a HeaderElement properly
Date Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:38:47 GMT
On Tue, 2008-04-29 at 19:33 +0000, computer junkie wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read in something that came from a response. I got the content-type by using ..getResponseHeader("content-type");
> want to keep the information about the content type but access very
> often  just the type itself. That's why I thought it best to keep it as
> a HeaderElement: That takes care of properly storing any parameters
> (such as charset=...).
>
> so far so good.
>
> Now I want to use this as the content-type header in another message.
> if i do
>   addRequestHeader("content-type", myHeaderElement.toString());
> that gives me in the actual message (using firebug to inspect):
>
> oops!
>
> How do I get it in a header properly?
> How do I get it printing out as a String properly (let's say even if not for the Header
itself) ?

> I looked for something like header.addHeaderElement(myHeaderElement) and then adding
that header. No such luck.
> I also looked for something like HeaderElement.write(myHeaderElement) or something like
that to mirror HeaderElement.parse ...
> Still nothing.

StringBuffer is your friend. Use ParameterFormatter from
org.apache.commons.httpclient.util
 to format individual name/value pairs and append them to the buffer.

HttpClient 4.0 has a much better message parsing / formatting API. So,
if you do not mind using ALPHA code, consider using 4.0 API instead.

Oleg