From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HttpClient 4.0 alpha 2 and HttpCore 4 beta 1
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 17:16:48 GMT

On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 16:47 +0000, Lorenzo Moretti wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am currently using both the HttpClient (issuing GET requests) and HttpCore (using nio
and ssl extensions). I would like to use the latest HttpCore but the compatible client is
not released yet. However I think that the necessary code changes have already been committed:

> a) HTTPCLIENT-702 was handled by
> svn diff -r 576068:595948 httpclient/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/conn/DefaultResponseParser.java
>
> b) HTTPCLIENT-703 was handled by
> svn diff -r 569782:595948 httpclient/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/auth/RFC2617Scheme.java
>
> c) HTTPCORE-136
> svn diff -r 604866:609315 httpclient/src/main/java/org/apache/http/impl/client/ClientParamsStack.java
>
> My questions are:
> 1) Is the release of HttpClient 4 alpha 3 scheduled in the near future ?

Hi Lorenzo

There are still 5 outstanding issues targeted for alpha3

https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?mode=hide&requestId=12311033

I believe we should be able to close those issues and get the release
out the door until the end of the month.

> 2) Can I use the changes listed above to build an HttpClient compatible with the latest
HttpCore or the changes to HttpCore are so extensive that even the most basic of functionalities
(working with GET requests) are very likely to fail ?

HttpClient trunk is based on HttpCore 4.0b1. If you get the latest SVN
snapshot, you can run it with the official release of HttpCore.

Alternatively, if you use Maven as a build tool for your code, you can
pull the latest snapshots out of this repository:

http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/

Hope this helps somewhat

Oleg