From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Trying to Authenticate to MS Exchange 2003
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2008 12:08:10 GMT

On Thu, 2008-01-10 at 16:06 -0500, Michael Prichard wrote:
> Ok....figured this one out.  Add this:
>
> 		// Sets whether authentication should be attempted preemptively.
> 		client.getParams().setAuthenticationPreemptive( true );
>

> And it seems to work perfectly.  No idea why!  Anyone?

This is because BASIC authentication (read: username/password sent in
clear text) is used to authenticate preemptively, not NTLM.

Apparently the credentials are OK, since you are able to authenticate
using BASIC. So, most likely the server has been configured to use
NTLMv2 only, whereas HttpClient supports NTLMv1 only.

For details see

http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/FrequentlyAskedNTLMQuestions

Oleg