From "Sagi Mann" <sagim...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [GlassFish] Using HttpClient from within an App server
Date Tue, 18 Dec 2007 11:56:23 GMT
Hi,
I've created a resource adapter (JCA 1.5) that is based on HttpClient
3.1. I call it from EJB's who need to access http servers. It's not
very fancy, but it may be a good start. Anyone interested? If so,
where do I post it?

Sagi Mann

-----Original Message-----
From: Florent Blondeau [mailto:fblondeau@pingwy.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 18, 2007 01:37 PM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: [GlassFish] Using HttpClient from within an App server

Thanks for your answers,

5 000 is not a real limit,  It will depends on the load tests, and  I
don't really expect to reach that number.
As my app is distributed, I can increase the number of machines if
resources are too much stressed.
I understand better what really is the MTHCM... I think I will have to
make a custom WorkManager which could
take care of the connections itself if I want to use a single instance
of HttpClient and then get better performances...
It's a pretty hard thing to do I think, and I'm going to see that later,
if the perfs are really a problem.
 I'm going to try the multiple instances  solution. I will keep in mind
your wise advise about closing connections

Thanks to all

Florent

Raymond Kroeker a écrit :
> You will probably; hit a ceiling in terms of a total number of open file
> handles before you get to 5000.
>
> Raymond
>
> On Dec 17, 2007 11:35 AM, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:
>

>> Hello Florent,
>>

>>> As I can't create threads directly in the App server, I can't use the
>>> MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager...
>>>
>> MTHCM is not really multithreaded, it is just thread-safe for use
>> in multithreaded applications. Unfortunately though, there is one
>> background thread for connection GC. You could copy MTHCM and
>> remove the connection GC mechanism. It's not easy though, the
>> code is rather complex.
>>

>>> Can I use as many HttpClient
>>> instances as the number of
>>> threads I have (about 5000) ?
>>>
>> You can, if you can live with 5000 connections being open
>> at the same time. Just make _very_ sure that you close
>> the connections (SimpleHttpConnectionManager.shutdown,
>> or create with the auto-close flag) once you don't need
>> them anymore.
>>
>> hope that helps,
>>  Roland

Pingwy