From Tim Julien <tjul...@limewire.com>
Subject how do I close connections on HttpClient 4.x?
Date Thu, 27 Dec 2007 21:00:57 GMT
All,

I am in the process of migrating from HttpClient 2.x to HttpClient 4.x.
(This is for Limewire)

Is there a migration guide anywhere that helps you go from the "old"
stack to the new one based on HttpCore?

I think I've banged my way through it pretty well but I'm struggling
with how to close connections (or at least tell the connection manager
that i'm finished - close if not maintaining persistent connection).  On
the old stack I could do this:

org.apache.commons.httpclient.methods.GetMethod get = ....
// make a connection
get.releaseConnection();

Under the new stack I'm not totally clear.

I've seen the example at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/trunk/module-client/src/examples/org/apache/http/examples/client/ClientConnectionRelease.java

But based on that, the only method available to me on the request object
is abort() - which seems like it is only to be used when an unexpected
error occurs (RuntimeException).

In the finally block of that example it says all you have to do to close
a connection is call response.getEntity().getContent().close().  Other
places seem to indicate I could alternatively call
response.getEntity().consumeContent().

Is close()'ing or consumeContent()'ing an HttpEntity enough to release a
connection?

Are there other ways (What if I don't have an HttpEntity)?  It's a neat
trick that "closing" the HttpEntity has the side affect of releasing the
connection -  but it's a little confusing if thats the best practice for
releasing a connection.

I also see that *if* I could get a reference to
org.apache.http.HttpConnection then I could call close().
Or if I could get org.apache.http.conn.ManagedClientConnection I could
call close() or releaseConnection().  However, those aren't super easy
to get a hold of:

org.apache.http.client.HttpClient client = new DefaultHttpClient();
org.apache.http.client.methods.HttpGet get = new HttpGet(myURL);
// client.execute(get), do some work
// ...

// now lets close the connection:
org.apache.http.HttpHost host = new HttpHost(get.getURI());
org.apache.http.conn.HttpRoute route = new HttpRoute(host);
org.apache.http.conn.ManagedClientConnection connection =
client.getConnectionManager().getConnection(route);

connection.releaseConnection();

thx!

-Tim Julien