From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HttpClient 3.1 / JavaHttp TIME_WAIT differences
Date Thu, 06 Dec 2007 14:53:47 GMT
On 06/12/2007, Roland Weber <ossfwot@dubioso.net> wrote:
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> > If HttpClient (or my app) is failing to close sockets at the end,
> > perhaps it needs to be enhanced - otherwise it will be causing the
> > server to go into TIME_WAIT instead?
>
> I'm not sure whether the server needs to go into TIME_WAIT
> if it gets a reset packet. But it can't hurt to call
> SimpleHttpConnectionManager.shutdown() when exiting
> the application.

Oops I forgot:
JMeter 2.3.1 calls closeIdleConnections(-1000) in the threadFinished() code.

The latest (unreleased) code calls shutdown() instead.

I'll add that to the test application and see if it helps.

> Looks like we forgot to add that method
> to the interface, but it's too late for 3.1 now.

I noticed that. Perhaps worth a Jira in case a bugfix release is needed?

> I wouldn't want to mess with shutdown hooks [1] by default,
> but I will remember the problem when we start working on
> an HttpClient 4.0 Tutorial.

Maybe add a shutdown method to the HttpClient API?
[Perhaps that exists anyway]

In 3.1, one has to get the conn manager and check if it is one of the
mgrs that supports shutdown.