From "Puneet Lakhina" <puneet.lakh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Help needed to figure out Headers & Post paramete
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 04:29:59 GMT
On Nov 19, 2007 4:40 PM, terry_513 <truptikm@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
>    I am new on this site, in need of help. Hope you experts will help a
> beginner.
>
>    I am developing an application where, I have to login to web site, etc
> programmatically. I can access the web page, retreive the page. So, GET
> part
> is working fine. I have problem with Post. I am using JDK
> 1.6 with apache's HttpClient 3.1 for communicating through the web site.
> After setting parameters in NameValuePair[], when i run
> execuseMethod(postMethod), it throws the following exception :
>
> i]Exception in thread "AWT-EventQueue-0"
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:
> host parameter is null

This is Java Swing API error, please check that part of your code. In case
that doesnt solve the problem, please full exception trace.

http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/httpclient-3.x/logging.html

> 2. How can I know what parameters, I need to pass in the POST method.
> Along
> with form attributes, their may be any hidden values to be passed. How can
> find out that.

You can use things like wireshark http://www.wireshark.org/ to analyze what
parameters are being sent.

> 3. Their is a submit button, how do i deal with that - tell the post
> method
> to click it ?

Submit Button click - posts parameters, maybe after doing some javascript.
client.executeMethod(post) - posts parameters

For a Web server it doesnt matter how the parameteres come in, their values
matter.

Please read here for httpclient's intended purpose
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/ForAbsoluteBeginners

--
Puneet
http://sahyog.blogspot.com/