From "Pete Keyes" <PKe...@starbucks.com>
Subject RE: [POLL] Minimal JRE for HttpClient 4.0
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:47:39 GMT
+1 - I am in favor of using Java 1.5 and taking advantage of its new
features

...Pete
Starbucks Coffee Co. - MS IT-5
2401 Utah Ave S
Seattle, WA. 98134
(w) 206-318-5933

-----Original Message-----
From: Oleg Kalnichevski [mailto:olegk@apache.org]
Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2007 2:40 AM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: [POLL] Minimal JRE for HttpClient 4.0

Dear HttpClient users,

HttpClient 4.0 code line currently requires Java 1.4. We are considering
migrating HttpClient to Java 1.5, so we could take advantage of new
language features and platform libraries (such generics, enums, and
java.util.concurrent classes)

Please let us know what you think by casting a vote as follows:
[ ] +1 I am in favor of using Java 1.5 and taking advantage
       of its new features
[ ] -1 I am NOT in favor of using Java 1.5. Java 1.4 compatibility
       is more important

When voting please take into consideration the following factors
(1) core HTTP components (released as a separate package) will remain
Java 1.3 compatible
(2) it will probably take a year to complete the development of
HttpClient 4.0. By that time Java 1.5 is likely to be more pervasive
than today

Everyone is encouraged to express his/her opinion on the matter

Oleg, on behalf of the HttpComponents team