From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: failover to another server instead of simple retry
Date Thu, 15 Nov 2007 15:47:35 GMT

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 04:31 -0800, James Brook wrote:
> I have an application that is very dependent on HTTPClient for back-end
> communication with another system, which is a farm of Web servers. The
> infrastructure team have not supplied a load balancing/fail-over solution on
> our internal network, so I am wondering about the feasibility of
> implementing fail-over in the software.
>
> Does HTTPClient have any out-of-the-box support for this? I have seen the
> 'HttpMethodRetryHandler' class. Is that a good place to attempt to implement
> fail-over, or should I do it at a higher level?
>
> I think I saw a post discussing something like this on the dev list, but I
> am not sure whether it has been implemented yet. I would very much
> appreciate any suggestions or code snippets.
>
> --
> James

James,

Reasonable fail-over strategies tend to be application / environment /
context specific, therefore fail-over is not provided out of the box.

If all you want is a trivial DNS round-robin, you can implement it using
a custom socket factory:

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-643

Oleg