From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: IP address resolution
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 19:48:32 GMT

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 11:02 -0800, Pete Keyes wrote:
> Is anyone aware of how http-client will react in the following scenario:
>   - DNS lookup evaluates to 2 physical IP addresses for:
>       "HttpCient.getHostConfiguration().setHost(host, port)";
>
> We have a trading partner that is implementing a fault tolerant B2B
> service, so the DNS lookup will return 2 IP addresses.  The desire they
> have is to use the physical IP address of the first available service -
> doesn't matter which one.
>
> I don't know how http-client will handle this.  I know the IP addresses
> are cached by the JVM and both IP addresses are accessible in the
> InetAddress.getAllByName("host.domain.com").
>
> Does anyone know how http-client will react to this scenario?

Pete,

Per default HttpClient always picks up the default IP address, but it is
trivial to plug in a more complex socket factory that makes of
InetAddress.getAllByName. In fact such factory has already been
contributed and is planned for inclusion into HttpClient 4.0

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-643

Hope this helps

Oleg