From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Transmission of XML with HttpClient 3-1
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 12:07:43 GMT
On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 07:39 -0400, Ken Richard wrote:
> Around position 319 of the http client wire trace.  It happens on all
> computers in this school, but has not been observed in any of our other
> installations.  It happens on all transactions with XML data greater than
> 319 characters.
>
> I was able to patch by adding a 500 byte comment of known characters into
> the HTML and fixing up the data before it is parsed.  Obviously not the best
> solution.
>
> I am pretty sure it is an environmental problem, but am not sure how to
> prove that.  There are multiple security packages installed on the
> workstations.
>
> Do you know what processing takes place within java/http client before the

Nothing really fancy. HttpClient 3.x uses standard BufferedInputStream /
BufferedOutputStream to read from / write to the underlying socket

http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/httpclient-3.x/xref/org/apache/commons/httpclient/HttpConnection.html#745

and then wraps those streams with the logging decorators. That is it.

> http client wire trace is generated?  Could this be a character encoding
> mismatch or something?

Unlikely.

You may want to try to reproduce the problem using a very simple Java
app that writes the request directly to the socket and reads the
response. Something similar to this:

http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/httpclient-3.x/sslguide.html#Troubleshooting

Oleg