From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Per thread logging
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 17:45:46 GMT
Hi Oleg,

> Why do not you simply use Log4J or similar logging toolkit to output the
> name of the thread that generated the logging event?

The environment has several hundred threads. You don't want to enable
output from several hundred threads and figure out later which of these
is the relevant one. The performance of the server would collapse
immediately.
Furthermore, the requests for a single user will be served by different
threads over time. What you need for this scenario is a way to enable
logging selectively, based on some attribute in the user session.
This cannot be handled by simply configuring a logging toolkit.

> In my opinion this kind of functionality falls into the responsibility
> of the underlying logging toolkit, not HttpClient

It's the responsibility of the application and the logging framework,
yes. But if HttpClient can offer a simple way to achieve the result
without ThreadLocal hacks, then why not? Getting a logger name from
the parameters instead of using a hardcoded one in certain situations
is not an unreasonable change. "Certain situations" are cases where
a long-living object with a logger is created, such as an instance
of the Wire class.
The situation will be simplified when we get rid of static logger
instances (HTTPCLIENT-668). Then, a custom log factory can supply a
thread-specific logger instance. Still, getting the logger name from
parameters is even simpler. Or would be, if connection pooling
didn't interfere with per-thread settings. That's something to be
considered for timeouts and buffer sizes, too.

cheers,
  Roland