From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Serialize HttpState
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:09:13 GMT
Hello Lars,

> I am looking for a way to persist (and actually replicate in a cluster
> using Tomcat) the state of a user. It was suggested to do this in a
> derived class and eventually put this into contrib. That would be fine,
> but I cannot seem to figure out how to achieve that without at least
> some sort of hook into the current HttpState class. Especially the
> credentials are not made available as a list. It keeps the lists
> private, so even derived classes cannot access them.
>
> What I need is some sort of protected access, either to the maps
> themselves or to a getter method returning the maps (or an Iterator etc.)

Please open a feature request in JIRA. The API for 3.1 is frozen,
but personally I could live with making the attributes protected
instead of private.

> Is there a way to build this into the class - or any other means to
> fully have access to the conversational state of a http session -
> because otherwise I will have to resort drastic measures like changing
> the class locally and recompile the lib. But then updates are a nightmare.

Don't worry about updates anymore. We hope that 3.1 final, due
in a few weeks, will be the last release of the 3.x codebase.
The 4.0 codebase is not compatible anyway.

> Is there any reason why this is not wanted?

Nobody requested that the attributes be made accessible, or
provided a patch to that effect. It's as simple as that.
Now we don't touch the old code anymore unless we have to.

cheers,
  Roland