From Lars George <l...@worldlingo.com>
Subject Serialize HttpState
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 22:32:47 GMT
Hi,

As discussed quite some time ago here

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/jakarta-commons-httpclient-dev/200306.mbox/%3C0C9CA5EC-9CD1-11D7-8308-000393016056@intencha.com%3E

I am looking for a way to persist (and actually replicate in a cluster using Tomcat) the state
of a
user. It was suggested to do this in a derived class and eventually put this into contrib.
That
would be fine, but I cannot seem to figure out how to achieve that without at least some sort
of
hook into the current HttpState class. Especially the credentials are not made available as
a list.
It keeps the lists private, so even derived classes cannot access them.

What I need is some sort of protected access, either to the maps themselves or to a getter
method
returning the maps (or an Iterator etc.)

Is there a way to build this into the class - or any other means to fully have access to the

conversational state of a http session - because otherwise I will have to resort drastic measures

like changing the class locally and recompile the lib. But then updates are a nightmare.

Is there any reason why this is not wanted? I do understand the reasoning in the mail thread
above
and agree that the developers (we) have to make sure we handle those credentials properly

internally. But since we sort of have access to them already, why not at least provide some
means to
extend the class and implement the serialization on top of it?

Any help or comment is appreciated.

Regards,
Lars