From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Too Many Files Error
Date Sun, 20 May 2007 07:41:07 GMT
Hi Rick,

sorry for the late reply, I got distracted by other stuff.

>> When I run an application on a Linux OS in the WebSphere application
>> server we are sporadically running into a "too many Files open" error.
>> I am creating one multi-threaded connection manager and one client
>> which are re-used across threads.  I release connections in a finally
>> block so I don't think that is an issue.  Not sure why this happening
>> under load.  Any help would be appreciated

Files in Unix/Linux are a very generic term and probably refer
to or include open connections. Have you checked the system setting
for the number of open "files" allowed for a process? I guess that
incoming and outgoing connections are counted separately. You
should check how many connections the application server accepts
(number of service threads), and what the total limit of HttpClient
connections is. I'm not sure, but it may be a kernel parameter
you have to tweak for Linux:
http://www.performancewiki.com/linux-tuning.html

The WAS InfoCenter also includes a tuning guide:
http://www-306.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/was/library/
They suggest to change the file descriptor limit using the
"ulimit" command. The default on SuSE is 1024, the recommended
value is 8000:
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/wasinfo/v6r1/topic/com.ibm.websphere.base.doc/info/aes/ae/tprf_tunelinux.html

There is also tuning stuff to be found on developerWorks, like
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/REDP3862.html

hope that helps,
  Roland