From "Boquan Xie" <quanxi...@hotmail.com>
Subject Too many file descriptors in TIME_WAIT state
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2007 21:02:23 GMT

Hi,

I am a new user of HttpClient and I am trying to do a performance test which
including httpclient requests.

I have serveral threads constantly sending requests and getting responses.
In the main thread, I keep a multithreadedhttpconnectionManager and a
httpClient. the instance of the httpclient is passed to each thread.

    MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager connectionMgr = new
MultiThreadedHttpConnectionManager();
    HttpClient hClient = new HttpClient();
    hClient.getHostConfiguration().setHost("sottamlab1", 9300, "http");
    hClient.setHttpConnectionManager(connectionMgr);

in each of threads:

   while (true)
   {
      PostMethod postMethod = new
PostMethod("http://sottamlab1:9300/p2pd/servlet/dispatch");

      postMethod.addRequestHeader("soapaction", "someaction");
      postMethod.addRequestHeader("Content-Type", "text/xml");

      postMethod.setRequestBody(requestBody);
      this.hClient.executeMethod(postMethod);

      InputStream is = postMethod.getResponseBodyAsStream();

      postMethod.releaseConnection();
  }

After a very short time ( < 1 min ), running the program with 3 threads, a
large number of file descriptors is left at state TIME_WAIT in tcpview. is
this normal ? It seems to me that httpclient/multithreadedHttpClientManager
didnot reuse the connections for me. Am I missing something in the code ?

if I run the program with 1 thread, the problem of large number of file
descriptors in TIME_WAIT state doesnot happen.

Please help !