From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Performance issues in ChunkedInputStream
Date Thu, 12 Apr 2007 22:00:46 GMT
Igor Lubashev wrote:
> 1.  BufferedInputStream is working fine.  I've looked at the source, and
> it correctly tried to read data only when its internal buffer is
> exhausted.  Most read calls reference only the internal buffer.  When
> the data does get read from the underlying stream, it tries to read it
> in large chunks.  (Of course, if the underlying stream returns very
> little data, it is a different problem.)
>
> 2.  It is hard to believe that reading a byte at a time is a bottleneck,
> but I've just quickly written a LineReaderInputStream, which is derived
> from BufferedInputStream, so all the searching for CRLF/LF happens very
> quickly internally.  The source is attached.
>
> Just call readLine() method, and you'll get Strings out of the stream.
> You can interleave all regular stream operations and readLine() calls.
> However, if you wish to use readLine() *after* using the stream's read()
> methods, make sure that you do not inadvertently pass this stream to
> anything that is buffering the stream's data (or your strings may get
> consumed via buffering).
>
> - Igor

Igor,

With all due respect given the implementation of
BufferedInputStream#read() method in Sun's JRE (see below) I just do not
see how LineReaderInputStream should be any faster

    public synchronized int read() throws IOException {
    if (pos >= count) {
        fill();
        if (pos >= count)
        return -1;
    }
    return getBufIfOpen()[pos++] & 0xff;
    }

Have you done any benchmarking comparing performance of HttpClient 3.x
with and without the patch?

I have invested a lot of efforts into optimizing the low level HTTP
components for HttpClient 4.0 [1] and most performance gains came
chiefly from three factors: elimination of unnecessary synchronization
and intermediate buffer copying and reduced garbage (thus reduced GC
time). Performance improvement due to the improved HTTP header parser
and chunk codec were marginal at best.

Oleg

[1] http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/httpcore/index.html