From Roland Weber <ossf...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: How to "mimic a browser" for threaded web sites?
Date Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:27:57 GMT
Hi Jerry,

> Sorry to take such a long time between requests for help. Before I make
> major changes to my application, how can I test to see whether I can still
> use the httpclient "simple connection" and mimic the sequential requests as
> you suggest or whether I really need a multithreaded connection?

The hard way: trial and error. I don't know of any spec that
*requires* a browser to open multiple connections, so I find
it hard to believe that any web application would rely on that.
Even if there are multiple windows, that doesn't mean that
more than one of them is executing a request at any one time.
Requests are most often generated by the user clicking some
link or button, and users don't click in multiple windows at
the same time.

Just analyse the web application as you used to, noting cases
where the returned page is displayed in a different window.
If it is plain HTML, that is done by the target="windowname"
attribute in links. Then try to run the sequence of requests
generated by multiple windows from a single thread.

hope that helps,
  Roland