From Eqbal <eqb...@yahoo.com>
Subject SSL error
Date Fri, 27 Apr 2007 21:47:17 GMT
I am trying to connect to a server using https and I
get this exception thrown:

sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path
building failed:
sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException:
unable to find valid certification path to requested
target

---------
After this error I did a normal JSSE test mentioned at
the bottom of this page:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html
It works fine with https://www.verisign.com
I then tried to connect to the certificate authority
in Japan that is issuing the certificate for the
server I am trying to connect to in the first instance
and I get the same/similar error (PKIX path build
failed). How do I fix this?
The japanese certificate authority can be viewed by
accessing https://www2.jcsinc.co.jp
I also tried importing the certificate using following
steps:
1. In Internet Explorer I view the certificate and
save it local disk.
2. I then use keytool -import to import the
certificate.

But I got the same error even after doing this.

It would appear to me that my Java installation
doesn't recognize the certification authority? How do
I make it recognize it? I shouldn't have to import any
specific certificates I would think.

I am using tomcat 5.5.17 with j2se 5.0 and httpclient
3.0.1

Thanks.