From Roland Weber <ROLWE...@de.ibm.com>
Subject Re: Authenticate and send data in same request?
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 10:45:04 GMT
Hello John-Paul,

> Apologies if this is a dumb question: Is it possible to authenticate and
send
> payload data in the same connection?

It depends on the type of authentication. For BASIC auth, you can enable
preemptive authentication.

> I need to make a soap connection to a windows server that requires that
> authenticate each time I send a soap request.  I'm told the
authentication and
> request should take place in the same connection.
> I've tried the default httpclient authentication for digest and it works
> beautifully - however the request and response handle only the
> authentication -
> is it possible to do both authentication and send data in the same
request?

For DIGEST authentication, the client needs a challenge from the server.
You can enable the expect-continue handshake. If the server is
co-operative,
the request will first be sent without payload and obtain the challenge,
then the request is repeated with payload and authentication.

hope that helps,
  Roland