From Betül AKIN <betul.a...@ibb.gov.tr>
Subject RE: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateExpiredException:
Date Mon, 12 Feb 2007 11:10:22 GMT
Thanks your sample code did the trick.

-----Original Message-----
From: Julius Davies [mailto:juliusdavies@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 4:50 PM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateExpiredException:

Whoops, some misinformation in my last post.  Sorry about that.

EasyX509TrustManager.java checks Certificate expiry!  This line:

certificates[0].checkValidity();

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/jakarta/commons/proper/httpclient/trunk/src/contrib/org/apache/commons/httpclient/contrib/ssl/EasyX509TrustManager.java?revision=480424&view=markup

Looks like you want to stick to "Easy".  In that case modify the code
example I provided to include these additional security downgrades:

HttpSecureProtocol f = new HttpSecureProtocol();
f.setCheckExpiry( false );
f.setCheckCRL( false );
f.setCheckHostname( false );
f.setTrustMaterial( TrustMaterial.TRUST_ALL );

// To avoid deprecation warnings:
ProtocolSocketFactory psf = f;
Protocol trustHttps = new Protocol("https-insecure", psf, 443);
Protocol.registerProtocol("https-insecure", trustHttps);

HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
GetMethod httpget = new GetMethod("https-insecure://mydomain.com/");
client.executeMethod(httpget);
String s = httpget.getStatusLine().toString();
System.out.println( "HTTPClient: " + s );

yours,

Julius

On 2/9/07, Julius Davies <juliusdavies@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Betul,
>
> Have you read the HttpClient SSL Guide?
> http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html
>
> You should try to avoid EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory.  It makes the
> security of "https" useless.  Using EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory is
> like clicking on all of the following browser popups:
>
> "The certificate for the https site is expired.  Do you still want to
> continue?"
>
> "The certificate for the https site is not signed by a trusted
> authority.  Do you still want to continue?"
>
> "The hostname specified does not match the hostname in the certificate.
> Do you still want to continue?"
>

> If you have any control or influence over the server's certificate you
> should try to get a new certificate.
>
> If not, this is probably the least insecure workaround, since the only
> "warning popup" it is "clicking" is the expired certificate warning,
> as opposed to all three!  (Nonetheless, this is still NOT RECOMMENDED.
>  Buying a new certificate is the best way to go.)
>
> #1.  Download not-yet-commons-ssl.jar from here:
> http://juliusdavies.ca/commons-ssl/download.html
>
> #2.  Code your use of HttpClient like so:
>
> ======================================
> import org.apache.commons.ssl.HttpSecureProtocol;
>
> HttpSecureProtocol f = new HttpSecureProtocol();
> // We're okay with expired certificates.
> f.setCheckExpiry( false );
>
> // To avoid deprecation warnings:
> ProtocolSocketFactory psf = f;
> Protocol trustHttps = new Protocol("https-expired", psf, 443);
> Protocol.registerProtocol("https-expired", trustHttps);
>
> HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
> GetMethod httpget = new GetMethod("https-expired://mydomain.com/");
> client.executeMethod(httpget);
> String s = httpget.getStatusLine().toString();
> System.out.println( "HTTPClient: " + s );
> ======================================
> Notice that only URL's of the form "https-expired://" will allow
> expired certificates after this code has executed.  Regular "https://"
> URL's still get full security.
>
> Another option is to use Sun Java 1.3 with the JSSE extension.  That
> combination doesn't bother checking certificate expiry!
>

> yours,
>
> Julius
>

> On 2/9/07, Betül AKIN <betul.akin@ibb.gov.tr> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am connecting to an Https site using Httpclient. It was working fine until today
when it started throwing the exception

> > javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: java.security.cert.CertificateExpiredException:
NotAfter: Fri Jan 09 11:03:00 CET 2007

> > in line
> >

> > statusCode = client.executeMethod(authpost);
> >

> > I was using the following lines
> >

> >       Protocol myhttps = new Protocol("https", new EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory(),
Sabitler.KIK_LOGON_PORT);

> >       HttpClient client = new HttpClient();
> >
> >       client.getHostConfiguration().setHost(LOGON_SITE, LOGON_PORT, myhttps);
> >

> > to connect. I googled the problem and came across  someone who had the same problem(http://www.codeguru.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-322145.html).
The solution suggested was changing the EasySSLProtocolSocketFactory in the following way:

> > SSLContext context = SSLContext.getInstance("SSL");
> >
> > context.init(
> > null,
> > new TrustManager[] {(TrustManager)new EasyX509TrustManager(null)},
> > new SecureRandom() );
> >
> > it also said:
> >

> > "also its important to keep javax.net.ssl apart from com.sun.net.ssl."
> >

> > I tried it but it doesn't work for me. Can you suggest anything else? Also what
does he mean by "also its important to keep javax.net.ssl apart from com.sun.net.ssl.".

> > Thanks in advance;
> >

> > Betul

> > Bu posta ve ekli dosyaları bilinen tüm viruslere karşı taranmıştır. Viruslere
karşı tedbir olarak tanımadığınız kişi ve kuruluşlardan gelen postaları ve bilmediğiniz
ekli dosyaları açmayınız.

> > This mail and its attachments have been scanned against all of the known viruses.
As a precaution to viruses and other malicious codes, please do not open the mails and attached
files coming from the people or entities that you are not sure to know.

--
yours,

Julius Davies
416-652-0183
http://juliusdavies.ca/

Bu posta ve ekli dosyalar bilinen tüm viruslere kar taranmtr. Viruslere kar tedbir
olarak tanmadnz kii ve kurululardan gelen postalar ve bilmediiniz ekli dosyalar
açmaynz.