From Mark Claassen <mclaas...@ocie.net>
Subject RE: HttpClient, SOCKS proxy, and webstart
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:15:27 GMT
I am having trouble finding any definitive information on this from the web.
I am thinking that this issue comes the fact that Firefox sets up the proxy
servers incorrectly.

Checking the checkbox in Firefox to have all the proxies use the same host
and port sets up the HTTP proxy and the SOCKS proxy to use the same host and
port.  Is this a valid configuration?  It seems that SOCKS and HTTP work on
different levels of the TCP stack, so their proxies would as well.
Therefore, forcing them to be the same would never be valid.  Can anyone
help shed some light on this for me?

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Roland Weber [mailto:http-async@dubioso.net]
Sent: Friday, January 26, 2007 4:58 PM
To: HttpClient User Discussion
Subject: Re: HttpClient, SOCKS proxy, and webstart

Mark Claassen wrote:
> Well, I have some good news for you.
>
> Just running the JRE (like through an IDE) the
> ProxySelector.getDefault() gives a ProxySelector class or
> sun.net.spi.DefaultProxySelector Running through webstart gives class
> a ProxySelector class of com.sun.deploy.net.proxy.DeployProxySelector

Ah yes, thanks for reminding me. You're on 5.0 or later, which has the
ProxySelector class. I stumbled over that one before, when I did some
digging for the Application Design FAQ:
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-httpclient/FrequentlyAskedApplicationDesignQu
estions#head-b97e4a161e34e2f9ecefa891cdb92bb0a09e6746

I'm still working in 1.4 environments, so I keep forgetting (or avoid
getting used to) the newer features.

I'm glad you solved your problems!

cheers,
  Roland