From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Timeout and retries
Date Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:37:47 GMT
Hi David,

sorry for the late reply.

> setConnectionTimeout (for connect - obviously)
> setSoTimeout (is this for receive? or connect as well? how does it
> relate to the above method?)

That's basic socket stuff. Connection timeout for opening the
connection, SO timeout for reading from the connection:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html#connect(java.net.SocketAddress,%20int)
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/net/Socket.html#setSoTimeout(int)

> and then setConnectionmanagerTimeout - what's this for? if the pool is
> full of connections alread? wait time for getting a connection from the
> pool?

The latter. Calls will block if the pool is empty, not if it's full :-)

> Also, I've noticed that setting
> this.connectionManager.getParams().setConnectionTimeout(
> connectionTimeout );
>
> will result in the requests NOT getting retried.

Could you please open a JIRA issue for this?
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/issue-tracking.html

We'll look into it as soon as we find the time.

thanks,
  Roland