From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: why https site returns 403 when using proxy server?
Date Tue, 02 Jan 2007 22:37:32 GMT
Hello Michelle,

> It works fine when I connect to a http site. eg.
> URL url = new URL("http://www.eclipse.org/");
> HttpURLConnection conn = (HttpURLConnection)url.openConnection();
> int result = conn.getResponseCode();
> the response code I got is 200.

I assume that you are aware that URL.openConnection() will
*not* use HttpClient and that you just pasted the wrong
example code into your mail.

1. Have you tried connecting to the HTTPS URL directly,
   without the proxy inbetween? See our SSL guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/sslguide.html

2. Have you tried connecting to the HTTPS URL through
   the proxy but with a standard web browser?

If both of these work, and only the combination of
HttpClient through proxy to the HTTPS URL fails, then
you most likely have some problem in your code.
In that case, a more detailed description of what
fails would be helpful. And/or a wire log:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/httpclient/logging.html
A wire log of the headers should be sufficient.

hope that helps,
  Roland