From Eric Hermanson <e...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject Re: Taking advantage of HTTPClient below the 'top' layer?
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 19:24:43 GMT
I've been searching the Java net documentation and I found a few
interesting things:

First, it appears as if NTLM authentication was added to J2SE in
version 1.5.0_08.

	http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/ReleaseNotes.html
	http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/technotes/guides/net/http-auth.html

Second, as of 1.5.0, Sun added a Proxy class that allows you to
create a socket that talks through a Proxy:

	http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/net/proxies.html

So my question is, with these J2SE technologies available, do they
accomplish what the Apache ProxyClient class does for me, i.e.,
tunnel a secure socket through any type of proxy (Basic, Digest,
NTLM) with relative ease?  I've looked over the Apache code and I
find it very clean and impressive, but I wonder if it's worth the
additional jar dependencies if I can get the same work done through
the standard J2SE?  ProxyClient apperas to do everything for you,
including figuring out the type of proxy and making the connection
behind the scenes.  There may be a bit more work involved in the J2SE
approach (i.e. figuring out for yourself what type of proxy is
involved).  I would appreciate any input from others who have looked
at this situation.

Thank You,
Eric