From "Jacques Poulin" <jacques.pou...@gmail.com>
Subject Easy fix for SSL errors ?
Date Mon, 08 Jan 2007 20:38:00 GMT
Hi,

I'm having a problem connecting to an SSL site using HttpClient, and I'm
looking for an easy fix if possible.

The web site is http://www.pinnaclesports.com.

Before today, when I tried to login to this web site with Firefox, the
browser complained that Pinnacle was not using a valid certificate.  I
complained to Pinnacle, and they responded that I had to import into Firefox
the certificate at this address :

https://certificates.starfieldtech.com/repository/sf_issuing.crt

I did that, and the error went away.

With Internet Explorer, there was no problem from the beginning.

With HttpClient, I get the following exception :

Fatal transport error: sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path
building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException:
unable to find valid certification path to requested target

I searched for an answer, and stumbled on a possible fix using the "keytool"
utility to import the certificate.  I did the following :

keytool -import -alias starfield -file c:\download\sf_issuing.cer

I tried my program again, and it gave me the same problem.

Bottom line is this : I have no interest in understanding the inner workings
of SSL and its configuration in Java.  All I want is some easy way to use
HttpClient for PinnacleSports' SSL sections.  All the other web sites I need
to connect to using SSL work, and I just want Pinnacle Sports to work too.

So : is there an easy fix to this ?

Thank you very much for your time if you decide to answer...