From "Julius Davies" <juliusdav...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 14:05:30 GMT
When you say it usually happens in the morning, after the first usage,
that makes me suspect some kind of firewall rule (or VPN tunnel?) that
closed down from inactivity, and then tries to quickly re-establish
itself when the first TCP/IP packet comes through.

Maybe you could implement some kind of repeating HEAD request (every
10 minutes?) just to keep all the wires warm?

Steve Terrell's comments are also good.  Probably better than mine.  :-o

yours,

Julius

On 12/4/06, Wittmann  Armin (BI) <armin.wittmann@id.ethz.ch> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am using commons-httpclient in a 24x7 environment that
> does send simple http-POST-requests with about 7 NameValuePairs.
> Unfortunately I get sometimes the following error
>          java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out
> (see stack trace below)
> Worse is that this error cannot be reproduced in development
> stage. It does occur mostly after a longer time of inactivity
> or under high test load (=some 5 requests per second).
> The average load in production is very low (e.g. 1 request per
> 10 seconds).
>
> Fortunately the server recovers from this phase of malfunction
> after some seconds and goes on working well.
> Does anybody have the same effects or is it possible that I
> am not programming API-conform.
>
> Here is the extract of my code inside the class CommonsHttpClient:
> (variables with prefix '_' are field variables in this class initialized
> in its
> constructor [that reads out some properties from file])
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
> public String sendHttpRequest(int pGetOrPost, NameValuePair
> pKeyValuePairs) throws LBSystemException {
>
> HttpConnectionManager connectionManager = new
> SimpleHttpConnectionManager();
> connectionManager.setParams(_connectionManagerParams);
> HttpClient client = new HttpClient(_clientParams, connectionManager);
> client.setHostConfiguration(_hostConfiguration);
>
> HttpMethod method = null;
> if (pGetOrPost == 0) {
>         method = new PostMethod();
>         ((PostMethod) method).setRequestBody(pairs);
> } else if (pGetOrPost == 1) {
>         method = new GetMethod();
>         method.setQueryString(pairs);
> }
>
> method.setPath(_contextPath);
> method.setParams(_methodParams);
>
> int statusCode = -1;
> boolean failed = false;
> try {
>         statusCode = client.executeMethod(method);
> } catch (Exception e) {
>         failed = true;
>         throw new MyException(p + "perform http.request failed.", e);
> } finally {
> try {
>         if (failed) {
>                 method.abort();
>
>                 try {
>                         method.releaseConnection();
>                 } catch (Exception e) {
>                         _log.warning(p + "releasing connection after
> evaluating http.request failed (failed=" + failed + "):", e);
>                 }
>         }
> } catch (Exception e) {
>         _log.warning(p + "aborting http.POST after failure raised an
> exception:", e);
> }
> client.setHttpConnectionManager(null);
> client = null;
> [...]