From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: HTTPClient and Proxy problems (Unknown Host) even with systemproxy set.
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2006 22:22:18 GMT
Hi Joshua,

> I'm not looking for a major change, just one that looks to see if
> proxySet is true, if it is, then utilize the system proxy settings.

And that is a major change. Up until now, every HttpClient user
is sure that system proxy settings will not interfere with their
application's behavior. Those that need a proxy set it, getting
the configuration data from their own configuration properties
or XML files, or from the system properties, or from the Windows
registry, or...
Additionally there are not only http.proxyHost and http.proxyPort
to consider. There is a bunch of other system properties that
affect the HttpURLConnection:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/net/properties.html

If HttpClient were to pick up http.proxyHost automatically, users
could reasonably expect it to pick up http.nonProxyHosts as well.
I guess you see where this is heading.

cheers,
  Roland