From <oh...@cox.net>
Subject Re: How to set http.protocol.single-cookie-header parameter non-programmatically
Date Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:22:11 GMT

> > Also, if this parameter will cause the "Cookie:" headers to be combined, do you
know what the separator character will be (i.e., a comma, or a semi-colon) between the original
cookie strings?

> Both characters are permissible by the spec (see RFC 2109, section
> 4.3.4). HttpClient 3.x uses semi-colon as a cookie separator in the
> 'Cookie' headers.

Oleg,

Thanks.  The above gives me hope that there are TWO possible resolutions!

One additional question, if you don't mind:  I forgot to mention that earlier, there was another
problem, where the server would send a "Set-Cookie:" to the applet, and then the applet appeared
to be "accepting" the cookie string from the "Set-Cookie:", but with an additional string,
"$Version=0;" pre-pended to the cookie string.

In other words, the server would send:

Set-Cookie: JSESSIONID=xxxxxxxxxxxx

and I would see in the Java Console log:

HttpMethodBase: accepted cookie: $Version=0; JSESSIONID=xxxxxxx

After a lot of digging and testing, I was able to eliminate the "$Version=0" by setting:

-Dapache.commons.httpclient.cookiespec=COMPATIBILITY

in the Java Control panel startup parameters.

The reason I'm mentioning this is that you mentioned RFC 2109 above.  Since I have "-Dapache.commons.httpclient.cookiespec=COMPATIBILITY"
already, will that affect anything that you said above, e.g., will the combined cookie strings
still have the semi-colon in between them if I can get that vendor to set "single-cookie"
to true?

Thanks,
Jim