From "Segal, Jeffrey" <Jeffrey.Se...@solers.com>
Subject RE: httpclient proxy timeouts with long responses
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 19:49:04 GMT
Dan,

Are you using the Expect-Continue header in your requests?  If not, that
may be what you need.

Jeff

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Lapadat [mailto:Daniel.Lapadat@baesystems.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 08, 2006 2:13 PM
To: httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: httpclient proxy timeouts with long responses

I have not been able to find a solution to the following problem.

We have an application that talks to servlets using HTTPClient.  It
requests information from the servlets, sometimes the response can take
a long time ( > 10 minutes ).  Everything was working fine until some of
our new users sat behind a proxy server.  The proxy server is timing out
our HTTP connection at around 5 minutes.  We of course cannot modify any
of the proxy server's settings.  Is there some way of sending a keep
alive signal to the proxy server?
 I thought that HTTP 1.1 automatically did this.

The only solution we have found is to start writing white space back to
the client every couple of seconds but if we do that and there is an
error on the server side, the client will not get any response back from
the server because we started to write to the output stream of the
HTTPResponse object.  sendError causes an IllegalStateException on the
server end.  In order to avoid this we cannot write to the output stream
until we have a response from the database or other systems.

Any help would be appreciated,

Dan