From Roland Weber <http-as...@dubioso.net>
Subject Re: Does Apache support socks proxy and reverse proxy?
Date Tue, 21 Nov 2006 17:06:02 GMT
Hello Michelle,

> Seems  essentially we call the same API setProxy for both http proxy and
> socks proxy server
> (except  HTTP  take precedence over SOCKS settings, ie.  you call
> setProxy(httpServerHost, httpServerPort)
> when both http and socks proxy are there) . sounds right to you?

No, that is wrong. If you want to use a SOCKS proxy, you follow the
instructions in the JDK documentation. SOCKS connections are transparent
to HttpClient. If you want to use an HTTP proxy, you follow the
instructions in the HttpClient documentation, because HttpClient needs
to know about it. HTTP proxy connections are NOT transparent, the request
to an HTTP proxy looks slightly different from a direct request to a
server.

hope that helps,
  Roland