From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: have question about buffer size
Date Fri, 10 Nov 2006 22:42:20 GMT
On Sat, 2006-11-11 at 00:13 +0200, Paranoid wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > It is not worthwhile investing any efforts into optimizing it because
> > HttpClient 3.x code line will no longer be actively developed past 3.1
> > release. HttpClient 4.0 will be based on HttpCore [1][2] which has much
> > more memory efficient and performant buffering code among other things.
> > Overall I expect HttpClient 4.0 be 40 to 50% faster and by an order of
> > magnitude more memory efficient than HttpClient 3.1 due to its low lever
> > transport code (HttpCore)
> >
> > [1] http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/index.html
> > [2] http://jakarta.apache.org/httpcomponents/http-core/index.html
> >
> > Oleg
>
> so, is it reasonable to start using HttpComponents now if application is still
> in development state, and to expect perfomance enchancement and to report
> bugs or it is still better to use beta of HttpClient 3.1?

It depends on your priorities. If performance is the overriding concern
for your application, you may consider using HttpCore. On the other
hand, HttpCore is still ALPHA and its API is likely to change in the
future. If you chose HttpCore at this stage, you would have to go
through pains of having to adjust your application every time API
undergoes a new revision. This is probably not what you want if you are
developing commercial software.

HttpCore is not meant to be a replacement for HttpClient. It is a set of
low level components HTTP services (client, proxy and server side) can
be build upon. Higher level components for HTTP state management
(cookies), connection management, proxy support, HTTP authentication
will be developed in HttpClient, not in HttpCore.

To sum this up, if you need speed, flexibility, non-blocking I/O and are
interested in giving us early feedback, consider using HttpCore. If you
need stability and a rich set of client side features, stick to
HttpClient 3.x

> P.S.: little confused about will httpcomponents and httpclient be separated or
> HttpClient 4.0 will be the last version and future development will be only
> for httpcomponents?

HttpComponents is a project, not a product. HttpCore, HttpClient, and
potentially others are set of components developed and maintained by
HttpComponents project.

Commons HttpClient (aka HttpClient 3.x) will no longer be enhanced. It
will be eventually superseded by Jakarta HttpClient (aka HttpClient
4.x).

Hope this makes things somewhat clearer.

Cheers,

Oleg