From Mark Claassen <mclaas...@ocie.net>
Subject RE: WebStart
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2006 20:40:41 GMT
I had this exact problem.  See bug HTTPCLIENT-601 in Jira.
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HTTPCLIENT-601

There is an attachment there I created that will be part of the contrib
section in 3.1.  (It was developed for, and I use it in, 3.01.)  It is a
wrapper that did the trick for me...at least in alpha testing.  I think the
comments explain how to use it.  Let me know how it works for you or if you
have any questions.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Suematsu [mailto:richards@syncadd.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 3:08 PM
To: httpclient-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: WebStart

I have a WebStart application that I'm trying to switch to HttpClient.
WebStart, starting with Java 1.5, will get certificates out of the keystore
of the web browser like internet explorer.  I have both client and
server-side authentication turned on.

It appears that HttpClient is not getting the CA certificates out of the
browser, but the client certificate is fine.

When used with URLConnection, the WebStart application works fine.

If I import the CA's into the JRE it works fine, but this is not good for
deployment.

If I try the use the Easy509yadayadaTrustManager, then the server side is
authenticated because it ignores the CA, but then I lose the client-side
certificate.  I think this is because I create my own socket and replace the
one given to me, but I'm not sure.

In case anyone is wondering, the URLConnection doesn't work for me because
URLConnection doesn't maintain state, so on every connection, the user is
asked which certificate they want to use (they have multiple certificates).

Ideas?

--
Aloha,
Richard Suematsu