From jasmine.bhut...@tcs.com
Subject Re: Too many files open under heavy load
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 13:51:43 GMT
Steve,

Thanks for your suggestion!
I think I can use nestat command in Windows XP as well and I saw that I am
getting more than 2 connections. So, this problem is solved but can
increasing connections really result into better bandwidth utilization?

Also, I have set max and min java heap memory to same value.
One more question-
While file is being transferred through PUT method of HTTPClient APIs,
currently 4096 bytes of data is being transferred in one go.
What is the maximum limit on the buffer that can be transferred in one go
without loss? How can we decide maximum limit on it? Does it depend on
bandwidth or any other network parameters?

Thanks and Regards,
Jasmine

Jasmine,

   Checking on the number of open connections depends on your operating
system. For linux, use netstat. Check the connections on both the client
and the server.

   As for your heap settings with JVM, yes, these can make a difference
in performance. In particular, I have found that setting the initial and
max heap sizes to the same value will help performance. This helps the
JVM avoid growing and shrinking the heap dynamically, and all of the
garbage collection that goes along with heap management. Just set the
initial and max heap values to as much as you can allocate on your
machine without impacting other applications on the machine.

--Steve