From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: commons-ssl update (commons-ssl-0.3.0 released)
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 21:15:06 GMT
Julius,

Your individual CLA is now on file. Is there any news regarding the
corporate CLA / software grant for commons-ssl?

Oleg

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 19:48 -0700, Julius Davies wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here's an update on commons-ssl.  Hope no one minds.
>
> I finally got around to setting up CVS, so I'm able to do "releases" now.  Decided to
call the first release "commons-ssl-0.3.0".

> I've also added support for doing RMI over SSL:
>
> import org.apache.commons.ssl.RMISocketFactoryImpl;
>
> // RMISocketFactoryImpl tries to detect plain sockets, so you should be able
> // to use this even in situations where not all of the RMI servers you
> // are talking to are using SSL.
> RMISocketFactoryImpl impl = new RMISocketFactoryImpl();
>
> // Here's where we tell Java to use our new RMI socket factory!
> RMISocketFactory.setSocketFactory( impl );
>

> Have high hopes for lots of additional stuff in the future.  These are some ideas I'm
thinking of:

> - Hope to support old style ssleay format encrypted (and plain) rsa keys.
>
> - Hope to support pkcs8 format rsa keys.
>
> - NotQuiteSoEasySSLProtocolSocketFactory will trust any server The First Time, and store
that server's cert on disk for future accesses.

> - TrustMaterial's that automatically reload themselves if the underlying certificates
have changed (based on timestamp).  This should make updating a running applications easier
when certs come close to expiry.