From Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>
Subject RE: NTLM Authentication credentials
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 11:38:25 GMT
On Tue, 2006-09-19 at 00:05 +0200, Mike Wilson wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> > This approach is just not technically feasible. This is not a problem,
> > though. There are other solutions. The real trouble with NTLM is not
> > technical but legal in nature.
>
> Well using HttpURLConnection wouldn't cause any political problems, right?
> I trust you that it may be hard to redirect HttpClient to use it, though.

Mike,

I seriously suspect it is just not technically possible.

> > HttpClient 4 will provide NTLMv2 support through JCIFS.
>
> When do you reckon HttpComponents have come this far - a year? Two?

Well, HttpComponents do not grow by themselves even if properly watered.
I contribute to HttpComponents at the expense of my family and my own
business, so it is a slow process. As far as I am concerned NTLMv2 has
the lowest priority of all. NTLM is something I'll consider working on
only when HttpClient 4.0 is feature complete in all other aspects.

So, all those concerned by the lack of NTLMv2 support please consider
rolling up the sleeves and putting together an AuthScheme implementation
based on JCIFS for HttpClient 3.x. It is perfectly feasible and should
not be that difficult to achieve.

Cheers,

Oleg